Sunday, January 24, 2010

36

Hebrews 11:6

"And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him."


Without faith it is impossible to please God. This verse has always meant something to me. I am always fascinated by the fact that we are children of God and that there is nothing that can separate us from His love. Nothing can separate us from the fact that He is utterly and extravagantly in love with us with crazy amounts of love that we can in no way deserve. So, really, there is nothing that we can do or say to make Him stop loving us. And within such intense love, we want to please our lover. There is a quality in our unseen God that demands our faith in Him. As we come to Him we must wholly and radically believe that He exists and believe in the essence of who He is. And that is faith.

The good news, is as we believe everything He says and as we seek Him with all of our hearts, He is pleased with us. There is such beauty and security in knowing exactly what pleases Him. I am a people pleaser. For better or worse I am constantly trying to keep everyone happy and pleased and peaceful. Sometimes it's easy and sometimes I am worn out trying to figure out exactly what things I need to say and do to please all the different types and personalities in my world. But then there is my Lord, and I know exactly what pleases His heart. He doesn't play games, He doesn't keep me guessing. It's pure and simple faith. Unadulterated, passionate, severe faith in Him.

So put some time aside in the day, sing a song to Him, have a dance in your living room with Him, bring Him into every aspect of your life (even what you think is insignificant). When we do this, our faith increases, and even better, we are making Him happy. I want more than anything for Him to be happy with me. I really know that He will love me no matter what, but just like a best friend or a spouse or a parent, I want them to be happy and pleased with me.

So the Bible says it's impossible to please Him without faith. Impossible. So keep believing. Find every verse you can on the subject of faith (the book of Hebrews is a rare gem on faith) and study them, medidate on them and ask Him for crazy faith: the faith that makes His big beautiful heart smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment