Monday, February 15, 2010

57

James 1: 2-4

"My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing."

To think of rough times as a gift seems really annoying when you're in the middle of them. Even more annoying if the person telling you this doesn't appear to be in the middle of a tough time themselves. Super annoying. So I hate to say it, but I really believe that what this verse says is true. I hope it is. Because when I'm in a little hellish time of my own, feeling sorry for myself and mad and resentful at everyone who appears to be happy and content, I try to catch myself and look at it all from the outside in. Even if it takes every ounce of my energy to try to see things how God sees them, and to see what this nightmare time is producing in my life, I want it. I want the dark times to matter. They have to, or why are we all here? Because if I say I believe the Bible (which I really do) and if I take advantage of this time, I know it is doing something big and beautiful and perfect in me. If I just wait it out, be still and shut my big mouth, I know it is bringing me to a place of maturity and wholeness and I will be lacking NOTHING. Maybe when it's dark all around you, you have to wait on God more. Maybe when you can barely see one step in front of you it's because God wants you to wholly trust His hand to guide you. Maybe it's just teaching me patience and stillness and trust. That is unbelievable. God is so good to allow me to get to that place. Through patience and hanging-in I will be as whole as I can be on this very lacking earth. Hang in, be patient. You will be whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment