Thursday, March 4, 2010

72

2 Chronicles 1:7-12 (The Message)

That night God appeared to Solomon. God said, "What do you want from me? Ask." Solomon answered, "You were extravagantly generous with David my father, and now you have made me king in his place. Establish, God, the words you spoke to my father, for you've given me a staggering task, ruling this mob of people. Yes, give me wisdom and knowledge as I come and go among this people—for who on his own is capable of leading these, your glorious people?" God answered Solomon, "This is what has come out of your heart: You didn't grasp for money, wealth, fame, and the doom of your enemies; you didn't even ask for a long life. You asked for wisdom and knowledge so you could govern well my people over whom I've made you king. Because of this, you get what you asked for—wisdom and knowledge. And I'm presenting you the rest as a bonus—money, wealth, and fame beyond anything the kings before or after you had or will have."

If He were to ask right here, right now, I would most probably answer to God that I wanted lots of money. I don't want to believe that I would in the heat of the moment, but I don't want to kid myself and where my heart and mind is right now. It makes me sad, but it also drives me to my knees in desperation for a heart like Solomon's. He had a heart to worship (like his dad, David) and more than that, a deep down desire to do the thing he had been called to do in the best way he could possibly do it. And all along he was very honest that it was going to take the wisdom of God to it.

The good thing is, we are all in the exact same situation as Solomon. Although most of us are not kings of millions of important people and empires, most of us are living and breathing for at least one other person's well being, and some of us are called to big tasks that we feel are too daunting, even if it's just life itself. Put yourself in Solomon's shoes and test your own heart. Are you so focused on pleasing God and fulfilling your calling that if God offered you ANYTHING IN THE WORLD, you would ask for wisdom for the job? Nothing is more annoying than the person who is really good at everything, has every ball they are juggling in perfect control and is happy all the time. And nothing is more refreshing than someone who isn't a sloppy-pathetic-feel-sorry-for-themselves-mess all the time, but walks in confidence with a thankful heart completely aware that God and His beautiful wisdom holds every piece of their lives all together.

I don't know what you're doing right now. I don't know what God is currently got you busy handling: raising kids, finishing school, leading youth group, pastoring a church, CEO of thousands of employees, trying to stay married, fighting an illness, loving an unlovely person... the list goes on. The Bible says that God will give you very liberally all the wisdom you need if you just ask Him (James 1:5). I can guarantee you, just like He was with Solomon, His heart will burst with pride and He will give you the desires of your heart as a bonus. He is with you now, so go ahead and ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment