Sunday, July 11, 2010

157 (for Terri)

Psalm 94:16-19 (the message)

"If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. The minute I said, "I'm slipping, I'm falling," your love, God, took hold and held me fast. When I was upset and beside myself, you calmed me down and cheered me up."

There is nothing like loss. Even more so, sudden loss. The kind of loss that sucks the breath out of you. The kind of loss that makes you want to die yourself. The kind of loss that leaves you in pieces on the floor. Whether we face it or run from it, loss is apart of all of our lives. Loss puts us all on the same page - the rich, the poor, the ugly, the pretty, the happy and the sad - each of us has experienced loss in some kind of way. Sometimes the absence of a person or place in our lives is more painful than any of us can bear. It brings our hearts to the lowest, most broken point imaginable; and it feels like permanent damage is done.

And sometimes (most of the time) the only answer is that God is our comfort. He takes our broken hearts and wraps His big strong arms of love around all the teeny tiny pieces of our soul when it seems impossible to put back together. Like the psalmist says here in this very earthy and vulnerable psalm: the love of God is the only life force that can hold us in so tight we can't escape it.

If a part of your life has been lost, and that lost piece can never come back, I'm sorry. All we have is the love and comfort of God. Ask the sweet Holy Spirit to come and protect your fragile heart and mind right now. He is so near to you, and He will come now and be with you. He is the only One who will bring to you the peace that you need, the peace that only God can bring. He will come and fill the holes made in your heart from loss. Then, in heaven, you will be put back together again, whole and complete forever and ever.
*
*
*
*

No comments:

Post a Comment