Saturday, August 14, 2010

172

Colossians 2:13-14 (the message)

"When you were stuck in your old sin-dead life, you were incapable of responding to God. God brought you alive—right along with Christ! Think of it! All sins forgiven, the slate wiped clean, that old arrest warrant canceled and nailed to Christ's cross. He stripped all the spiritual tyrants in the universe of their sham authority at the Cross and marched them naked through the streets."


The other day I closed my eyes and imagined myself being handed a check for all the debts I currently owe. I imagined the sheer relief and smile that would spread across my face when the kind stranger or friend handed me the moolah. I imagined the excitement I would feel, and more importantly, the weight that would lift from my shoulders knowing that I would be free from the grip that the debtor has on me.

Now, I honestly don't want to sound corny, but a tear came to my eye the other day in the car thinking that Jesus did that exact thing for us in the spiritual (the stuff that actually matters) sense. He went to the cross to pay for it all. He completely paid for everything. Every debt that we owed and will ever owe (because of our darkness) has been completely paid for in full.

Since we're a human race that thinks through the filter of money (unfortunately), maybe we would be more in awe and more grateful if we started to think of God's grace and mercy like that. The state of your soul is so incredibly much more important than the state of your bank account, so some days when you refuse to recognize the earthly gravity of it all, just pretend that someone paid all your monetary debts and then set you up to have none in the future... and then realize that that has happened for you in a million more important and eternity changing ways. That is enough in itself to all day long be praising Jesus for giving you so much money (life).
Selah
*
*
*
*
*

No comments:

Post a Comment