Sunday, October 24, 2010

197

Psalm 27:10 (The Message)

"You've always been right there for me; don't turn your back on me now. Don't throw me out, don't abandon me; you've always kept the door open. My father and mother walked out and left me, but God took me in."


Feeling disappointed by God has got to be the worst thing ever. It's the worst because to you and your heart He is the one you want to count on and believe in more than anyone or anything else in the world to not let you down and disappoint you. And those moments (slash days, months and years) when you feel like He has played or is playing a trick on you, letting you down and disappointing you, are awful and horrifying times.

But here's the truth. It's not Jesus who lets you down. It's really not. He doesn't work like the rest of the humans. He doesn't hurt people and He doesn't leave people. It's not Him. It's this world and the messed up broken people who live in it. I know I have not solved the age old question of "why me, Lord?" I have, however, traced back enough of my disappointments with things in my life to their roots and it seems to stem back to a couple common denominators: stupid, broken and hurtful people (people who are full of pride on power-trips), along with my control and insecurity issues, and thinking that I can make it all work on my own, those are the things that hold me where I am. It's you and it's me and it's the people who break us that disappoint us in the long run.

When you feel the most disappointed by God and by life, run straight into His arms and sit there for awhile. Because the problem is not Him, it's life in a fallen world. It's living a life that sometimes gets hard and disappointing. Run to Him and He will bring you back to life.
*
*
*
*
*
*

No comments:

Post a Comment