Monday, February 28, 2011

223//home//

223//home//

Psalm 62:5 "My soul, wait silently for God alone, For my expectation is from Him."


A few days ago I landed back in sunny Sydney, Australia. It's been awhile since I've been back, but the instant my feet touched land I was reminded that the glorious place I am lucky enough to call home is still there and alive and well. I had been far away for so long, but lo and behold, the city of Sydney had not left the building.

Those of us who have spent some significant (or not so significant) time away from home realize that it doesn't matter how long you leave a place, the places and people that truly love you, remain the same. You think everything will be different but it's a beautiful thing because you sit for coffee with old, dear friends, catch up on life and love and it's like you never left. People evolve, buildings get knocked down and rebuilt again, but the essence of home remains the same. It's the special place that has become part of your insides, part of who you are...

And I do think that having a home here on earth is important. God gives us gifts and abilities to build his kingdom here in earth in many creative forms. My husband and I were raised in different countries and different cultures. You may think Australian and American culture is pretty similar, but beneath the surface of the same language and looks are some pretty distinct features (those differences are not where I'm going in this one so maybe later...). So not only are we blessed to have one place to call home, but two. Two homes, two families, two big sets of friends, two pieces of land to plant some roots, and it's a wonderful thing.

I think that the home we have here on earth is important and (for most of us) really quite lovely (...for some, 'home' represents a place of chaos, torment and loneliness, which is devastating...). And as good as home can feel to our souls, while you do set up a home here on earth (a great and positive thing to do) just remember that your true home is not here. Your true home, the one that will never be taken from you, never fade away and never fall apart, is in Heaven. All the blood, sweat and tears to build your home and leave an inheritance for your children, will be paid back to you in crazy big ways - in Heaven....the place we are all getting ready to go. Don't make yourself too much at home down here. It's not worth it.
*
*
*
*
*

1 comment:

  1. There's certainly no place like home, is there Lauren?
    Your blog is such a blessing....thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete