Sunday, January 3, 2010

15

Psalm 50:3
"Out of Zion, the perfection of beauty, God will shine forth..."

This is my favourite description of God in the whole wide world. It's so pure and spotless and other it makes me want to cry.
The first time I read this about my God, that He is "the perfection of beauty," I sat for ages just staring as I tried to wrap my teeny mind, with it's very narrow view of beauty, around the thought. What is more magnificent than the most perfect form of beauty? Nothing. There is nothing greater that a person, a place or a thing can be, than the perfect form of itself. And here, if we believe the Bible, it says that our sweet and powerful (sometimes scary) God is the most perfect form of beauty that there can be. He is entirely "other." This level of beauty is not from this world; this world cannot even contain it.

Have you ever met someone that you were instantly attracted to? It's as if no matter what they look like on the outside, you know instantaneously (or maybe even over time) that they are truly beautiful. They define beauty to you. You want to be like them. The world around them is pure and peaceful. They make things good and right. You just want to sit and be in their aroundness. So maybe this is a little glimpse of what His magnitude of beauty here on earth could look like. Maybe.

This broken world is ugly and dark. There is no light but for His beauty. And the handy thing is that everyone deep down, or even not so very deep down, wants to be beautiful. We all want it. We need the "perfection of beauty" in us to love and change our worlds.

And this God, the perfection of beauty, thinks about me; we are friends and companions. He is mine. I am His. What's more, I'm beautiful because the essence of Him is inside me. And with it, I can change the world.
Selah.

No comments:

Post a Comment