Sunday, February 21, 2010

63

Psalm 31: 14,15

"But as for me, I trust in You, O LORD; I say, “You are my God.” My times are in Your hand..."

I try to pray this verse over my life as often as I can. As I pray, I am reminding myself that as I trust and believe, everything is really going to be okay. This verse brings me an image of a big hand (don't laugh) with me in the palm of it and there is no where bad I can go. Even if I fall over and make a big mess of what I'm doing, look like a fool and feel all alone, I wouldn't go far. Even if I make a bad choice that I thought was good, and it turns out to be a mistake, I can't escape the hold of God. His hands hold me, and the edges of His hands equals His love. And I can never escape His love. The beauty of this scripture is that the psalmist uses the word "time" instead of a word that would be a vague expression of "life." For me the word "times" expresses the details: day to day, the hour by hour, the minutes, the months, the years that make up our lives. The days we go to a job we don't like, as we quietly pursue our dreams on the side until the dreams start to pay the bills. Those times. The minutes we sit by the bed of a loved one sleeping quietly as he or she battles a sickness that seems hopeless. Those times. That one perfect moment when the love of your life gets down on one knee and asks you to spend the rest of your time on earth together... those times. The moment you first see your fresh brand new baby beside themselves with the new world they have entered... those times. The times you sit looking at the bank balance thinking: how am I going to pay the bills this month? Those times. God is holding all your times in the palm of His perfect and safe hand. He is all over you it and it's under control. He is holding the days and months and years together with the palm of His hand, and you must know that everything is going to be okay.
Selah.

No comments:

Post a Comment