Sunday, March 21, 2010

85

Psalm 34:8 (New King James Version)

"Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good; Blessed is the man who trusts in Him!"

I'm a foodie. I love food. When I think about biting into a piece of food that I love, my heart and mouth water with utter delight. The pleasure I get from a bite of my favorite food makes my life beautiful and rich. It really does. My family and friends feel the same way, and if they didn't I wouldn't want to hang out with them.

We can talk about Jesus and religion and theology and spirituality until we are blue in the face, but attempting to do this without telling someone to meet and experience Jesus for themselves is as absurd as arguing what the apple on the table in front of us tastes like: is it sweet or sour, rotten inside or does it taste of perfection? Pick up the apple, take a bite, and see for yourself. The facts and details of the apple fade away with what the apple actually tastes like, and often no words will be needed to explain the apple.

The story goes that a young hot-shot speaker was speaking to a room full of people about Jesus Christ and who He was. He had every line under the sun arguing the absurdity of Jesus Christ and how ridiculous the belief in Him was. There is an old man sitting in the last row of the room eating an apple. And raises His hand, and when the speaker calls on the old man, He asks the speaker "what does this apple taste like?" Rolling his eyes at the stupid old man wasting his time, he responds," I don't know, I haven't tasted your apple." The old man responds, "nor have you tasted my Jesus."

You may have all the answers and ideas in the world, and it's totally fine to have ideas and opinions and arguments about the things you believe. When all else fails, pray that you experience Jesus. Because when you do, you can tell people what He's done for you. Your life will change, and nothing in the world will compare to how good He tastes. To know Him is to love Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment