Friday, March 26, 2010

90

Luke 22:42
"...nevertheless, not my will but Yours, be done."

This has got to be the hardest prayer to pray. And although I pray this very touching and moving prayer with my mouth, some days my heart prays it also, and others days it doesn't. It's one of those prayers where you pray it, and the whole time you're hoping that the feelings will eventually come. I often wonder how Jesus was brave enough to pray this prayer. He is standing in the garden, ready to be arrested and eventually killed. The Bible says the torment and stress was so intense on his heart and body that He sweat blood. He sweat blood! I can't even begin to fathom that level of emotion and pain.

He knew this was what He was born to do. He knew His whole life's path was leading Him to this moment, this moment of decision: to the cross. He was focused the whole time, but right now in this very moment if there was any other way, He wanted things to be different. I guess the only thing that enabled Him to pray that prayer, and follow through with the plan for humanity was His intense burning love and connection to His Father God. He wanted God more than anything else. He wanted His Father so much, it was worth the sacrifice. He loved His Father, and His Father loved the world. So He did it. It was all for love.

Make that your prayer: "not my will, but My Father's be done..." It's a tough one, but it's also relieving. It takes the pressure off, really. Who knows what could happen? It takes the pressure away from you having to pull a bunch of things off on this earth. And while I don't know why some people's dreams don't come true, and why good, dedicated, talented people's plans fall through, we must learn to let go. Let go of all the things you think you need to accomplish and the things that you feel will make your life worthwhile on this earth. Go after your dreams and the call of God on your life, and every morning, every time you think of it, or every time you get worried that things won't turn out, pray this prayer alone: "not my will, but yours be done."

No comments:

Post a Comment